Monday, January 9, 2012

Lafayette Hillside War Memorial


Every Sunday on my way home from the zoo, I pass the hillside of white crosses by the Lafayette BART Station.  I finally took the time to stop and walk through the memorial.  I initially stopped to see if I could get some good pictures.  Selfish really, and I realized it from the moment I got out of my car.  I felt like a trespasser and I didn't want anyone to see me taking pictures...like I was stealing people's memories.  But gradually my motivation shifted.  I wasn't there to satisfy my artistic curiosity anymore.  As a matter of fact, I wandered around for almost 40 minutes before remembering that I wanted to take some photos.  I sat up near the top of the hill and spent some time reflecting.  Most of the crosses are made of wood or metal and painted white and not necessarily dedicated to anyone in particular.  Some crosses have been personalized by families, friends, or supporters.  I wanted to document and share some these individual memories.  They all moved me in some way, and I'm hoping that some of you may find inspiration in them as well.
More info on this memorial: Wikipedia and an early history of memorial


 













No comments: