Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Why Do I Hike?

We'll just jump right past the fact that I've neglected this blog for almost nine months and, instead, jump in to my latest musings.

Today's question: "Why do I hike?"

Excellent question...here are my list of answers (in no particular order...except the last one is the most important):

1. I can't afford a gym membership.
2. I hate running.
3. I hate biking.
4. I love exploring.
5. I love reading maps.  An artifact from my Girl Scout days.

6. I went to Berkeley...ergo, I'm a hippie...ergo, I'm a tree hugger.    

7. Although not always accurate, I love the feeling of being somewhere that most people haven't been.
8. I love adding up the mileage and the sense of accomplishment when I reach a new max.
9. I love the silhouettes and contrasts of the trees with the light.





10. I love being away from the noise pollution of the city.
11. Because I have to live up to my nickname "Sasquatch".
12. I love, love, love the views. 








13. And probably above all else, I hike because of the joy that this guy experiences when we do...






2 comments:

Unknown said...

I'd love to hike, but I'm navigationally challenged. I'm afraid of getting lost. Do you know of any well marked trails?

Unknown said...

I've always had a good experience in Anthony Chabot Regional and Redwood Regional. East Bay Regional Park District's website has good trail maps.